Thursday, September 4, 2008

Max's First Day of School!

Max was very excited to go to school today! All until we arrived there! I have never seen a child in such anguish!!! It was all I could do not to cry and just turn around and go home. We went to the nurses office for 15 min and I held him and rocked him and kept telling him Mama was staying with him and would not leave him. That I was going to stay with him all day. After about 15 min I asked if he wanted to talk to Baba? He shook his head yes so we called Baba and Dave reassured him he would see him and Mama after school! That seemed to reassure him some and it took about 5 more minutes to gain his composure.

We proceeded to his classroom and on the way he started crying again! Of course by this time we are late and the kids are all sitting in a circle with the teacher and we crying wailing! I sat down and he climbed on my lap and hung on. I kept talking to him quietly while the teacher explained to the children Max was a new student and he was just scared so he was crying but that he would be OK.

It took another 2-3 minutes until he stopped crying and then a couple more minutes before he turned around on my lap to see what the teacher was doing. She was explaining how the children are to behave in assembly and then we went to assembly, Max did everything right and actually participated in assembly. By the end he was sitting 2 feet away from Mom and not right against me.

From there we went back to the class room and they had free play time. Max watched for about 5 min and then decided he wanted to play also. He checked out the match box cars and then played in the kitchen for a while and was actually smiling. After that he checked out the art supplies and found paper and wrote out his name! All the while I sat in a chair by the door. After that they had recess outside. They lined up which stressed him out a little because I had him get in line with the other children. Then when they went out and I stayed in the room and told him I would be there when he got back. The teacher said he cried all the way to the play ground but as soon as they got there he went and played with the other kids and was happy.

When he came back to the room from recess he seemed very relieved to see that I was still there. He started to climb into my lap and I had him sit on the carpet with the other children. He kept an eye out to make sure he knew where I was. After school I had him walk out the way he normally would and I walked at the end of the line and he was in the lead. He did not let his guard down until we told the teacher goodbye.

When we got home he had to show his art work off and told Marc all about school and Kaitlyn and Baba although he was telling them in Mandarin and only Marc knew what he was saying.

Pray for a better day tomorrow!


Sherri & Todd said...

How sweet of Mama to stay with him. He appeared to be fine as long as you were there, hopefully things will get better? I'm sure they will, it's always hard the first day even for a Mama.

Cindi Campbell said...

Gosh! I just love that boy. You are a great mom.
Cindi Campbell